IPC Fitness is a ministry of Independent Presbyterian Church Recreation
4738 Walnut Grove Rd. * Memphis, TN * 38120
901-763-3857

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Try a "Treat Sandwich"

If anyone is like me,I love a sweet treat around mid-afternoon or at night after dinner. And it's so easy (the sugar addict that I am) to splurge on something sweet when I am having that craving - like the entire Gigi's cupcake I ate last week! Well, I ran across this tidbit today called a "treat sandwich" from the book, The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by Dr. David Kessler. He says that the occasional 100 calorie splurge is okay – as long as you eat it between two low-calorie fillers. So, if you want a cookie- have an apple, eat the cookie (one cookie, not a whole cupcake), and then drink a cup of tea. That’ll allow you to enjoy your favorite food without activating the circuitry that makes you binge.
I think I'll give it a try- I'll let you know if it satisfies... because if it satisfies my sweet craving, it will satisfy ANYBODY'S!

Anyone give up sweets for Lent? Here's another low calorie mid-afternoon pick me up (and it's sugar free!):
Authentic Spiced Chai: In a small saucepan, combine one spiced chai tea bag, 3/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup lowfat milk. Bring to a rolling boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 2-4 minutes. Remove tea bag and add honey or sweetner. Relax and enjoy! (I'm enjoying one as I type this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I am a certified fitness trainer, group instructor, and Assistant Recreation Director at Independent Presbyterian Church, where I currently teach fitness classes and do personal fitness training.