I am a traveling snacker. Being stuck in a car for hours on the road brings out the "junk food monster" in me. Driving home from Jacksonville yesterday, I managed to put away an Arby's Jamoca shake (a Hillyer road trip essential), a large box of Hot Tamales candy from Cracker Barrel, pick up Steak Escape for dinner, and cook Break N Bake cookies during the Super Bowl (my 13 year old wanted them... right!).
So to make up for my gluttony, I have made the goal of taking two, not one, walks in the snow today. As I set that goal for myself, I am reminded of a story that author Patsy Clairmont tells of when her son was 6 years old. Living in the country, she had to walk him to the school bus every day. One day early in the school year, he told her he was quitting school because school was "too long, too hard, and too boring". Her reply was "Son that's life. Get on the bus."
When it comes to setting goals, life can be like that. It's easy to fall off the wagon when trying to establish healthy habits. When we run into obstacles, it's easy to want to quit. But that's when we must, as Christian author Carole Lewis says, "set your lunch kit firmly under your arm and get on the bus — in other words, take one simple step toward your goal."
I thoroughly enjoyed every tamale and swig of shake yesterday, but I am making a pot of vegetable soup today.
Anyone else need to "get back on the bus"??? Let's strap on our snow boots and enjoy a good trek in the snow today, have a snowball fight or make a snowman... and maybe some popcorn and hot chocolate as well! See you in exercise class!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
►
2011
(1)
- ► 01/16 - 01/23 (1)
-
▼
2010
(26)
- ► 09/26 - 10/03 (1)
- ► 09/05 - 09/12 (1)
- ► 08/29 - 09/05 (2)
- ► 08/22 - 08/29 (3)
- ► 08/15 - 08/22 (1)
- ► 07/25 - 08/01 (1)
- ► 03/14 - 03/21 (1)
- ► 02/28 - 03/07 (2)
- ► 02/21 - 02/28 (3)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (3)
- ▼ 02/07 - 02/14 (4)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (3)
- ► 01/03 - 01/10 (1)
About Me
- Adrienne Hillyer
- Memphis, Tennessee, United States
- I am a certified fitness trainer, group instructor, and Assistant Recreation Director at Independent Presbyterian Church, where I currently teach fitness classes and do personal fitness training.
No comments:
Post a Comment